Register

Multi-Game PC Gaming Community

DbD Gaming

Author Topic: Spam Spam and more Spam!  (Read 166 times)

Bear

• Administrator
  • "Is that my Beer?"
    • View Profile
Spam Spam and more Spam!
« on: January 03, 2018, 01:16:26 AM »
Recently we have been hit with an increase in Spam. If you see it before an Admin does please report it and it will get delt with sooner.
I have also began stepping up Spam Counter Measures. Every time that we get new Spam I will bump it up another notch. The reason I am doing it in small steps is because it does have an impact on site registration and I would rather have just enough rather than too much.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:18:06 AM by Bear »

Bear

• Administrator
  • "Is that my Beer?"
    • View Profile
Re: Spam Spam and more Spam!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 06:42:33 PM »
OK I added another level of Anti Spam today. So far so good. It recommends that I remove Captcha from the site as it claims it is no longer needed. I may do that if it works well for a few more days.

Bear

• Administrator
  • "Is that my Beer?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 06:14:01 AM »
Had it working well for a brief time with an addon I grabbed from SMF but I did not realize that it was a BRIEF trial and they wanted money after that. Well of course I declined but it left us with jacked up anti-spam measures. :'(

I have gotten CAPTCHA running again and added security questions to help Bot proof the Forum. 8)
From what I have been reading, Bots can now work through math problems and it recommended that you have at least 5 questions and the registration picks one at random. I made up about a dozen! They are not complex for humans and are similar to this:
List all of the Upper Case letters used in Death Before Dishonor.     The answer would be DBD

Cross your fingers!   ::)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:20:42 AM by Bear »

master

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:53:37 AM »
At work we've got good experience with Google's recaptcha. Does SMF support that? I found this:
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1044
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:00:49 AM by master »
Spearhead ftw!

Bear

• Administrator
  • "Is that my Beer?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 05:12:32 PM »
At work we've got good experience with Google's recaptcha. Does SMF support that? I found this:
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1044

SMF now comes with reCAPTCHA and I have it running. I have sneaking suspicion that the reason things have all of a sudden gottten so bad is that damn Anti Spam by CleanTalk (No CAPTCHA) module that I tried. When the trial ran out and I opted not to pay them my settings got jacked up and SPAM got 100x worse.

master

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 11:58:49 AM »
Bastards
Spearhead ftw!