Author Topic: Final Upgrade for Old Faithful  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Bear

• Administrator
  • "Is that my Beer?"
    • View Profile
Final Upgrade for Old Faithful
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:32:27 PM »
Well I was able eek one more upgrade out of my last build. This is the longest that I was ever able to keep a build alive but it was a rock solid build.
Motherboard
Intel DX58SO
CPU
Intel Core i7 950 Bloomfield 3.2 ghz
Memory
12GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit

What makes this Build Good starts with the CPU. The i7 950 is a Quad Core, 8 thread CPU designed to be used with Triple Channel Memory.

I am just going to do a HD and Graphic Card Upgrade. The Hard Drive is nothing special but needed as the one I am currently using is showing signs of failure in the near future. I have ordered a WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive
The Graphic Card is going to be be the Upgrade.
I am currently running a EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Superclocked
Surprisingly it plays everything for me well but does struggle a bit with Games like Conan Exiles and Star Citizen.
The new Card I ordered is a EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, 03G-P4-6162-RX, 3GB GDDR5, ACX 2.0
Looking at the two cards the new one is literally twice the card that I am using as the Specs are at least Doubled. I am really looking forward to seeing how this works out.
I do realize that the Board has PCI-E 2.0 and the New Card is for PCI-E 3.0 but from I read that will only affect the bandwidth very slightly.
Posting Results after the Holiday!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:34:16 PM by Bear »

Offline Myro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Final Upgrade for Old Faithful
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 01:53:43 AM »
looks good only thing i would have change is changed the card to a 6g instead of a 3g

Offline Bear

• Administrator
  • "Is that my Beer?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 02:17:21 AM »
looks good only thing i would have change is changed the card to a 6g instead of a 3g

I took that under consideration. The following video explains every possible difference between the 3 Gigs and 6 Gigs on identical cards. To summarize if you are playing a game at Ultra settings and getting 60fps with a 6 Gig card you will get about 57FPS on a 3 gig card so you are paying an extra $50 to get a 3FPS increase that you will never be able to detect.

Offline Myro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 02:27:59 AM »
ooo i actually learned something when i was running the GFX test turn v sync off and it unlocks it from 60 fps

Offline Bear

• Administrator
  • "Is that my Beer?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:38:48 AM »

60 was a hypothetical number.The difference is a percentage in frame rate for example if FPS on 6g was 60 then FPS on 3g would be 76....... 20/19, 40/38, 60/57 and so on.