Author Topic: Basic Macros  (Read 418 times)

Offline Bear

• Administrator
  • "Is that my Beer?"
    • View Profile
Basic Macros
« on: February 26, 2018, 01:28:22 AM »
First of all if you do not use Macros you are missing out. Take it from a PvPaholic if you choose to play without macros you are already at a disadvantage. The same goes for Dungeons and raiding. I could not even begin to imagine healing a 5 man let alone a raid without Macros.

First of all this is how macros work in Rift. Everytime you click the macro it starts at the top of the list and executes the FIRST AVAILABLE COMMAND and then the next click does it all over and so on. So with this in mind you DO NOT want to have a skill with no cooldown at the top of the list or the macro will never progress past that skill. We will continue with this a bit later.

Here are a few simple Macro Commands that will get you writing your own Macros in no time!
To start go to System menu and select macros. It will give you tons of macro sets and they are character specific so I would use a set for every build.

Two first two things every macro should have!
  • #show NAME OF SKILL TO SHOW
  • suppressmacrofailures

#show then the name of a skill will determine what icon to use for your macro.
spppressmacrofailures will keep your hat box clean. Some of the items we place in a macro will only work when a specific condition is met. This command written into the macro will keep the system from telling you in chat that the requirement has not been met.

Other macro commands
  • cast SKILL NAME
  • cast @mouseoverui SKILL NAME
  • saveequip NUMBER
  • loadequip NUMBER

OK there are a TON of other Macro commands but as the title said I am showing you the basics. When we get to posting Builds I ALWAYS post macros and will have some more advanced stuff in there such as Setting a focus and in a tank build auto pulling anything that is targeting your focus and healer is almost always a tanks focus.

About the ones I listed above.  cast is pretty self explanatory.

cast @mouseoverui is a healers best friend! First of all ALWAYS use Raid frames as a healer for Parties. I think it makes it easier to keep track of Health and debuffs.  Say you are making a healing macro and use this command, simply hover your mouse over the raid frame of the player you want to heal and hit your macro. Boom done!

saveequip is to save a gear set. Say you want to save your DPS gear, equip it and hit the macro! The reason I use a macro rather than a slash command is I may have 3 different sets I use and they should all be constantly getting gear upgrades. If you don't get gear upgrades you are either already Godly or your doing something wrong. I typically use the stock Macro Icons for these macros.

loadequip works off of your saved equipment sets. Simply hit macro and it dresses you in all that equipment set. YOU MUST KEEP THE GEAR ON YOU FOR ALL SETS AT ALL TIMES!

OK lets make a few Macros! The first one will be a SPAM or Builder macro the Second will be a Finisher Macro!

#show MELEE SKILL NO COOLDOWN
suppressmacrofailures
cast MELEE SKILL 14 SEC COOLDOWN
cast MELEE SKILL 12 SEC COOLDOWN
cast MELEE SKILL 5 SEC COOLDOWN
cast MELEE SKILL NO COOLDOWN
cast RANGED SKILL 5 SEC COOLDOWN
cast RANGED SKILL NO COOLDOWN

That is a good SPAM macro!  One button takes care of all Ranged and Melee Builders!  Typically the skills with the longest cooldowns are the hardest hitters so that's what we want to get off first and every time they are off cooldown. Typically NOT always. This is just an example.
Once target is out of melee range this macro automatically goes to your ranged skills that are ALWAYS behind your melee.
The same goes with finishers.

#show MELEE FINISHER NO COOLDOWN
suppressmacrofailures
cast MELEE FINISHER 14 SEC COOLDOWN
cast MELEE FINISHER 5 SEC COOLDOWN
cast MELEE SKILL NO COOLDOWN
cast RANGED FINISHER 5 SEC COOLDOWN
cast RANGED FINISHER NO COOLDOWN

Simple! Easy Peasy!

Before I wrap this up one more IMPORTANT thing especially for Dungeons is that unless you are tanking keep Single Target skills and AOE skills on separate macros. Single target skills bring a more focused DPS and AOE macros have been know to pull the map!

If you need a hand let me know I will be more than happy to help!